[LRUG] Upload to S3 using a remote url

Ed James (Alt) ed.james.spam at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:24:20 PDT 2012

Hi all

I currently allow users to upload files through my web app, which are pushed directly to my S3 bucket using a flash uploader. The flash object uploads the file directly to S3. I cannot modify this flash object.

I now want to be able to let the user simply provide a url to the file they want to upload. Typically these files can be very large (1GB+) so I cannot simply download the file to my web server and then push it to S3. I need the upload to work without going through my server cache or filesystem. As far as I know it's not possible to have S3 initiate the download by providing a url.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

--
Ed James