[LRUG] server admin UI on VPS?

Mickael Riga mig at campbellhay.com
Mon May 21 10:44:41 PDT 2012

Hello,

No Heroku does not offer this kind of service.
That even defeat the point of Heroku in fact.
Heroku have this cloud/scallability philosophy where everything is separated (mail server, website, other services...).
Each one is in an environment that is made for that.
And your DNS settings are more or less making the glue (which is its main purpose).

Heroku has restriction but when you get the reason for all of them and if you can live with them, that is still one of the easiest option for deploying a ruby-based application.

So like somebody suggested before me, it sounds like you need more control.
You have to setup a beast on your own.
But it doesn't mean you can't use Heroku for the website itself.
It will even save you at least that part of the job.

Now I prefer Heroku.
We still have a server that I administer completely (NGINX and clusters of Thin for Ruby applications).
It is not the end of the world so I'm sure you can do it.
It is just a lot more work when you host an eCommerce because you need to be PCI compliant.
PCI Compliance requires a lot more job in terms of software updates and stuff.
If it is your case, I would recommend a RedHat because their packages are more up-to-date with these kind of requirements.
We've got this one on MediaTemple will do.
Just make sure the Help and Documentation is alright.

Good luck,
Mig