[LRUG] [JOBS] Looking for more people to code Ruby in a funded, established, sciencey environmental startup in London

Chris Adams mail at chrisadams.me.uk
Wed May 23 08:59:17 PDT 2012

Hello LRUG,

Yes, another jobs post.

I've been working as a Ruby/Rails developer at AMEE since the middle of September last year - we're growing again, and as this list has been pretty good for finding useful answers to Ruby questions I've had over the years, I'm hoping it might be useful for finding smart people to work with too.

More specifically, we're looking to add 2-4 people to the engineering team, to develop a couple of new Rails apps, and continue development on three older, existing Rails ones (one is running on Rails 3.x, but the other two are of the 2.3.x vintage).

### What problems you'd be solving

AMEE is an environmental data startup, and we have two linked problems we're working on solving:

Problem one is making it easier to work out the impact of almost any kind of activity (from flying somewhere, to looking at the whole life cycle impact of a product, and so on), and then expose this kind of knowledge through an API to let people build their own products with (and in some cases, mine craft plugins[2])

Problem two, (and where the money comes from in our master plan) is helping companies become more profitable, socially responsible organisations, by helping them model environmental risks associated their own activity through their supply chains, using the the knowledge we've built up solving problem one, over the last 4 years.

In general, we're working on difficult, complex, but (in my opinion) meaningful challenges.

### Where you'd be working

We have offices just on Old Street Roundabout, but also we have an office full of environmental scientists in Glasgow, but remote working a few days a week is cool too if you don't live in London. In general though, we're looking for people who can work in an office with us a few days a week at least.

### What tools you'd be using here:

There's obviously more to a company than the tools it uses, but it helps to know what you might be working with.

We're using MySQL for our main Rails apps, and we're fans of Rspec and Cucumber - but on one of our products, we've been Cassandra to log environmental data every 5 minutes from more than 3000 buildings, and present it back to users, so knowledge of NoSQL tools would be a plus.

For deployment we're using a mixture of Heroku for some apps, and Chef with both AWS and more traditional hosting for the larger, more bespoke ones.

Our preferred Ruby is now 1.9, and we're using Vagrant to handle VM's for projects we're working with.

When you're working with VM's, or larger test suites, it helps to have a half decent computer, so our standard machine is a SSD equipped Macbook Pro with 8GB of RAM.

### What you're likely to be paid

Right now, we're mainly looking for mid-weight to senior developers, and the salary band is between 45k to 55k, with reasonable holiday, pension schemes, share options schemes and so on.

### Other Perks

In general, the engineering culture isn't too bad here.

We run maker Tuesdays[1], where no meetings can be scheduled for devs if they want to go to them -

We also have 10% of our development time free to work on things we think are interesting and relevant in our field, even if it's not immediately going to be used by the company (it works out to about 2-3 per month of self guided hacking).

We're involved in Hackdays, as both organisers[3] , and sponsors[4], and we run a regular meet up for people interested interested in the intersection between tech and environment[5]

One other nice thing I've found working at AMEE is the flexibility in how and where you can work. I've been able to do my job from Barcelona for the last two weeks, and another developer on the team is working from Portugal later this month too.

In short, you're treated like an adult, so as long as you get the work done, you can work where and how want.

### More info

The official job title and spec is available at this link - http://www.amee.com/homepage/jobs/developer-clients-community

If you like the sound of working at AMEE, send an email to jobs at amee.com

Also if you want to chat before you commit to all the work of sending an email, we're going to be at Silicon Milkroundabout[6] too over the weekend, so if you're have any questions, don't be shy!

Thanks!

Chris

[1]: http://www.craigkerstiens.com/2011/11/07/how-heroku-works-maker-day
[2]:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0DfI98DuDM