[LRUG] Fwd: Recommendations for Ruby & Rails optimisation

William Hamilton whamilton42 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 26 06:24:50 PST 2012

> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:14:23 +0000
> From: Jonathon Horsman <jonathon at arctickiwi.com>
> To: Sam Livingston-Gray <geeksam at gmail.com>
> Cc: "chat at lists.lrug.org" <chat at lists.lrug.org>
> Subject: Re: [LRUG] Fwd: Recommendations for Ruby & Rails optimisation
> 	resources
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions.
>
> I've added the new relic gem and looked at the results, which seem a bit
> light on details unless I'm missing something.
>
> According to the results of the slow action, SQL is about 8% of the time
> and the action itself is 89% (2799ms). Presumably this is mostly the view?
>
> However there doesn't seem to be any way to drill into this and isolate
> what is taking the time.
>
> I should mention a table is being rendered with 363 rows is being rendered,
> and the total page size is 338kb of HTML.
>
> Are there other tools which can measure metrics?
>
> Many thanks

rack-mini-profiler (https://github.com/SamSaffron/MiniProfiler/tree/master/Ruby) is my best friend when profiling. It breaks load time down into individual actions and even individual SQL calls. This lets you quickly identify what operations are taking lots of time, allowing you to perform very targeted optimisation.
- Will Hamilton