[LRUG] [JOBS] Web development role at State

Marko Balabanovic marko at state.com
Thu Oct 18 06:01:08 PDT 2012

We're looking for a new permanent team member here at State
(http://state.com): a developer with a strong knowledge of Ruby on Rails,
JavaScript and CSS. We're looking for enthusiasm, energy, a solid software
engineering background, experience at larger-scale consumer web or mobile
companies, good technical knowledge and skill across the stack of web
technologies.

We're a startup but the product we're building is still secret (sorry!) ‹
we can say it is large-scale; consumer; it's all about opinions; it's
global and ambitious.  We have some interesting technical challenges
around speed and scaling, machine learning / recommenders, natural
language and the semantic web, and creating a platform and API for
widespread use and integration. There's a fantastic team coming together ­
people with experience of larger-scale Rails projects, creating JavaScript
frameworks, managing communities in their millions, global business
development, bringing together web and mobile design to create a strong
brand, starting successful companies, and developing large semantic web
and big data projects.

Technologies we use include Ruby and Rails, Node, MongoDB, Redis ‹ and
also Storm, RabbitMQ and Hadoop. On the web front end we're using Sass and
a significant amount of client-side JavaScript, looking for speed,
responsiveness and maintainability. There's a strong structure around a
central API.

We're based in Notting Hill. If you're interested please apply via
http://jobs.state.com

Thanks,

Marko