[LRUG] s/Puppet/Puppet Enterprise/

John Arundel john at bitfieldconsulting.com
Thu Sep 20 04:31:08 PDT 2012

On 20 Sep 2012, at 09:30, George Ornbo wrote:
> I'm not at all averse to paying for software but I wondered what the
> general sentiment was on the direction of Puppet Labs? Hopefully they
> are not going to do Open Source the Oracle way.

I don't think it's anything to worry about in the sense that Puppet might stop being be free to use. Rather, they're selling a premium, supported version with lots of extras, reporting and management tools. Opscode do much the same thing with Chef.

Hopefully it means money flowing into Puppet development so they can support more platforms and fix some of those dang bugs.

There's an obligatory feature matrix describing what's in the enterprise and free versions here: http://puppetlabs.com/puppet/enterprise-vs-open-source/

Disclaimer: Although I'm not affiliated with Puppet Labs, I do make my living from selling Puppet support (and a slightly less good living from writing books about it), so I can't quite work out whether to be for or against this.

Regards,
John
--
Bitfield Consulting: we make software that makes things work
http://bitfieldconsulting.com/