[LRUG] How do you recruit/interview for a Dev Ops role?

Ed James (Alt) ed.james.spam at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 01:18:28 PDT 2013

Hi all

We're looking for a Ruby DevOps person to join our team. While candidates are pretty thin on the ground, we're a little stumped as to how a developer-heavy tech team would interview for this role.

We're all capable when it comes to doing basic sysadmin stuff, but none of us a sysadmins, which leaves us with a problem when it comes to doing a thorough interview for the role.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest any good SysAdmin service providers or consultancies? This may also be something we might consider.

Note: our current SysAdmin works remotely for another company, and he gives us approx 20hrs/week of time. We don't have enough work for a full time SysAdmin, hence the DevOps description. It's a great opportunity for the candidate to learn more about Ruby and Rails.

Thanks,

--
Ed James