[LRUG] [JOBS] Senior Software Engineer to join us at State

Marko Balabanovic marko at state.com
Fri Feb 15 06:58:21 PST 2013

Hi,

We're expanding our core engineering team and looking for a senior
permanent Ruby developer.

State is a startup in London building a global opinion network. If,
hearing that, you imagine an interesting set of technical challenges you
might be a good match! You can see what we look like and who some of our
advisors are at https://state.com/about/people.

We specifically want someone who can join as a senior developer on the
core back-end team, with experience architecting and building larger-scale
consumer services in Ruby and Rails.  We work in short iterations and
small groups - you could be designing social graph algorithms, improving
speed and scalability, building web features, prototyping new technologies
or product ideas, designing APIs for partners or improving our search or
recommendations systems.

You'll need experience with a consumer site that has high traffic, and
dealing with scaling problems.  You'll have also dealt with the
operational side of software engineering: load balancing, deployment,
architecture, caching, multi-tenancy, performance testing, that kind of
thing. A background in computer science is useful: you'll need to
demonstrate
knowledge of algorithms and data structures.

As well as Ruby and Rails we use NodeJS, NoSQL databases like MongoDB, and
big data frameworks like Hadoop and Twitter's Storm.

We're based in Notting Hill in a big open office with views over London,
and occasionally accede to outrageous demands like getting SSDs for
everyone, although we remain to be convinced that productivity has gone
through the roof.

Please get in touch if you'd like to hear more about what we're up to or
want to drop by for a coffee. To apply or a job you must already have UK
work authorisation and be ready to interview and work in London.

Thanks,

Marko