[LRUG] Reading Outlook Contacts

Chris Mear chrismear at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 03:05:11 PST 2013

On 6 Feb 2013, at 11:28, Andrew Stewart <boss at airbladesoftware.com> wrote:

> I'm writing some code to read the CSV files you get when you export contacts from Outlook as "Comma Separated Values (Windows)".  Unfortunately I don't have any example files to work with and I can't find a good description of the output on the web.  And surprisingly there doesn't seem to be any open source Ruby which does this already.

Don't know how useful this'll be, but here's some pretty hacky code I wrote to pull names and emails out of Outlook a few years ago, which I hereby release under an open source license:

https://gist.github.com/chrismear/4730250

We did test it against a few output files from Outlooks and Entourages of that era, and it ended up in production for a while. So I have some confidence that it basically works.

Chris