[LRUG] Best Payments solution for Rails app?

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Thu Feb 14 08:02:04 PST 2013

On 8 Feb 2013, at 11:55, Mark Weston wrote:
> I've been lurking on every payments solution discussion thread here and elsewhere and have spiked interfaces to a couple of them.  Paymill, at first glance, looks like a fantastic new option for a new business but we won't be implementing payments for real for another couple of months.  I'd love to hear any feedback from someone who's tried them out (bonus points for actual money transactions rather than tests).  Is their English-language documentation good enough once you get down to the nitty-gritty of actual implementation?

I started working with Paymill a few weeks ago.  I found it pretty straightforward to understand their English documentation and integrate credit card subscriptions in my webapp (once I realised that a Paymill "offer" is what most people would call a "plan").

There's a good Ruby gem wrapping their API.  The API itself has all the key things in place but you still need to compose one or two higher-level things yourself, such as updating an existing recurring payment with a new credit card.  Hopefully this sort of thing will appear in the API in due course.

So far I have found Paymill's non-technical support fast and helpful.  The technical support has been slow and less helpful – but perhaps I've just been unlucky.

In terms of actual money transactions I was off to an inauspicious start.  When the time came to move my first customer from my previous payment processor (FastSpring) to Paymill, I asked them to put their card info into my website.  Everything worked but the bank declined the transaction due to "banking risk issues". I asked Paymill to investigate and am awaiting a response.

Hope that helps.

Yours,
Andy Stewart