[LRUG] Security issues in gems

Mark Burns markthedeveloper at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 21:59:38 PST 2013

I don't think I've seen any mention on the list, so I thought it would be
worth bringing up. There's a bunch of popular libraries that are affected
by the same parameter parsing vulnerability as Rails was recently.

https://gist.github.com/4532291

If you have most of your projects grouped in folders you can do this to
quickly see if you are vulnerable due to some dependencies (assuming
bundler for everything):

ack "crack|httparty|multi_xml|exlib|nori"  */Gemfile.lock

That command could maybe be improved by a bash/regex wizard to parse
version numbers to, but it was sufficiently time saving for me.