[LRUG] Idempotency vs the cloud

Sam Phillips sam at samsworldofno.com
Wed Jul 17 06:26:08 PDT 2013

Another new option I don't think has been mentioned yet is orca:

https://github.com/andykent/orca

Which might be of interest.

In terms of the value of configuration management, we're (Shutl) a chef
shop and we're getting a great deal of value from it. But, it is a learning
curve and full of idiosyncrasies (nomenclature has already been
mentioned!). We're now at the point where we quickly delete and re-create
nodes and whole setups, and because of this we can be assured that our
software does not rely on state. And, because we run chef directly from a
OS-only AWS AMI, we're not investing time in hand-crafting AMIs that are
essentially black box masterpieces which are impossible to specify. This
also breaks our reliance on AWS :)

In terms of value, I think that it's important to remember that these are
different tools and frameworks to those than many developers are used to,
and that when it comes to learning these for the first time, you are a
beginner. This might sound like a tautology, but I think it's often
forgotten - you have to learn these tools in order for them to be useful to
you. They're not like a ruby gem that you just drop into your code.

Sam