[LRUG] Idempotency vs the cloud

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Wed Jul 17 14:54:52 PDT 2013

On 17 Jul 2013 14:12, "David Burrows" <david at designsuperbuild.com> wrote:

> I think part of my similar fear of Chef/Puppet is that it's overkill for
a lot of things I want to do, but I still want more than a bash script.

I may have said this before, but do take a look at running Puppet in a
'masterless' configuration: if you can figure out for yourself how to get
the manifest onto the box and keep it updated (I hear that there's this
thing called 'git'...[*]) then you just run it with 'puppet apply site.pp'
and nuts to the whole puppetmaster/certificates/signing/scaling dance. If
chef is your preferred poison, they have something quite similar though I
can't recall what the name is. Vagrant uses it to good effect, and that
surely is the poster child for disposable server setup.

[*] <self promotion> or if that's not enough moving parts for you, why not
try Capistrano?
https://github.com/simplybusiness/capistrano-ext-puppetize/blob/master/README.md