[LRUG] Objects and on Hexagonal Rails

Tom Cartwright tecartwright at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 09:45:05 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Thanks for the great responses. Lots of things to muse upon. Some thoughts
and responses that occur thus far:

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Hayes, Steve <Steve.Hayes at gs.com> wrote:

> Good OO makes this harder - people in this situation would rather have
> large classes and large methods so that they can "see everything easily

I agree with this and..

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Tim Cowlishaw <tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk>
 wrote:

> I find lots of tiny classes interacting with each other in cohesive, well
> defined ways to be far easier to  grok than large classes with lots of
> imperative spaghetti

..I agree with this. Devs with only rails experience will be comfortable in
the world of large classes and they won't be in the habit of modelling and
navigating objects and interfaces. Which is why I ask about introducing
these techniques as and when needed. I am starting from a position of
having devs with mainly rails experience and we need to get a product up
and running at a decent rate so I don't really want to dive fully into the
Hexagonal puddle for fear of holding everything up. But I also think it
will be worth getting our feet wet with some of these things sooner rather
than later (later being defined as when people get scared to change things
despite good test coverage). The fact some people have gone all the way
with this stuff and have been happy with the results is promising.

Some patterns seem be fairly understandable, stick it on one small wiki
page, sort of a thing. For example, view level decorators (exhibits in Avdi
Grimm parlance) seem like that sort of thing. And they seem worth employing
almost from day 1.
I shall muse further, try somethings out, probably in a slightly
conservative fashion and as Murray suggests, I may blog about it and let
you how it goes.

Thanks again.
Tom