[LRUG] Objects and on Hexagonal Rails

Gerhard Lazu gerhard at lazu.co.uk
Thu Jul 25 02:20:14 PDT 2013

Some sound principles which never failed me:

1. Choose a solution from your own experience, appropriate for the team
that you're leading

Teams vary wildly, what works for team A will not work for team B. If
unsure, favour the known, tried and tested over the more academic solutions.

2. Write apps with change in mind

POODR explains this very well, I couldn't put it any better
http://www.poodr.info/

Whether it's a conventional Rails or pure JS app, strive for simple & clean
code.

3. Simple and straightforward always wins

If Rails is the simple and straightforward solution for you, go with it. As
Roland mentioned, Rails works very well for conventional CRUD. Even bigger
apps, with enough Rails experience, can be pulled off, just think alphagov.

4. Innovate as/when you can afford it

You should try new things for fun, not when you have a deadline or when
important things depend on it. Experiments can go either way, plan for
failure. Sometimes, the old and boring way is the best way
http://zef.me/4235/pick-your-battles

5. Defer decisions

This requires more experience, but the point is to defer everything that
you can. Rails is a decision, so is a real database Keynote: Architecture
the Lost Years by Robert
Martin<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpkDN78P884#t=49m48s>

As Stephen mentioned, we've been running EBI in production for a few months
now, we're holding out for the degradation part. Every approach starts to
degrade sooner or later, without that experience under our belt the
talk that we're thinking of giving would be incomplete.

My reasons for going pure Ruby are based on all the negative experiences
that I've had with monorails stuck at specific versions (mostly Rails
2.x) and bloated with hundreds of gems. I've always associated them with
having an anaconda as a pet.

Over time, all successful apps grow to become standalone DSLs. As long as
you don't weld them to a framework, you will be much better off in the long
run. Yes, it does require experience to realize when you're coupling, but
experience is just learning from past mistakes. Trying to prevent mistakes
acts like airbrakes to learning and growing.

As for the conclusion, Apple (unreleased) Think Different ad - Narrated by
Steve Jobs (1997) <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzu6zeLSWq8>

Twitter <http://twitter.com/#!/gerhardlazu> Github<https://github.com/gerhard>
 Blog <http://gerhardlazu.com/>

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Tom Cartwright
<tecartwright at gmail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
'tecartwright at gmail.com');>