[LRUG] Formal Apology - I Love Ruby =?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=93_?=evvnt an equal opportunity employer.

Aanand Prasad aanand.prasad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 06:51:19 PDT 2013

Must say, you're doing a terrible job at this "apology" business.

1. You don't tell us what you think you did wrong. What _do_ you think you did wrong? Word something badly? Make an off-colour joke? Demonstrate total ignorance of structural inequalities and the behaviours, attitudes and language that reinforces them? Or just trip over a hornet's nest of over-sensitive PC thugs?

2. You tell us you didn't _mean_ to be sexist. This information is approximately 0% relevant. Read "Intent is Magic"[1].

3. You go to great pains to reassure us you're not bad people, declaring "we are certainly respectful of gender, nationality and culture" and getting various employees to testify to this in the comments. Again: 0% relevant to an apology. Stop making this about you.

4. You ask anyone who is made "upset" or "uncomfortable" by anything you say to tell you so, placing the responsibility on others to keep your behaviour in check, rather than yourself.

5. You link on Twitter[2] to a comment on the New Statesman piece which calls it a "sensationalist piece of crap". This is unlikely to reassure anyone that you feel you did anything wrong.

6. You comment on the piece yourself with (a) a passive-aggressive dictionary definition of "news"[3], (b) this gem[4]:

"One minute you offer humor, the next you're a demon."

Honest question: do you care, at all, about how you're perceived by the people you appear to want to hire?

---

[1]: http://www.shakesville.com/2011/12/harmful-communication-part-one-intent.html
[2]: https://twitter.com/evvnt/status/357115823262928896
[3]: http://www.newstatesman.com/economics/2013/07/women-offered-perks-job-ad#comment-964196339