[LRUG] Are coders worth it?

Benji Lanyado benjilanyado at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 09:16:45 PDT 2013

I'm sure many of you have read this already, v thought provoking:

http://www.aeonmagazine.com/living-together/james-somers-web-developer-money/

The writer (a Ruby dev) essentially, argues that he is overvalued, and that what he does has little meaning.

Fwiw, I think he's wrong, but mostly because I think he demonstrates one of the things that troubles me the most about devs (I've only been one for a year): the seemingly permanent succession of talented, interested devs taking jobs they know they won't enjoy, or won't interest/challenge them, purely for the money. The problem, imo, is not an underlying vacuousness of coding itself, but rather a lack of self-worth, and not being able to see the wood from the trees when lotsa money is floated in front on your nose.

But that's just, like, my opinion.

Can we all cuddle now?