[LRUG] Are coders worth it?

Steven Deobald steven at c42.in
Fri Jun 7 00:20:51 PDT 2013

I've come to the world of startups and their economies (which seems to be
the crux of his article, not programming or Rails, specifically) when I
joined nilenso. But I've been watching the job market and the New Startup
Bubble for years while I worked elsewhere (game companies, high finance,
oil companies, you name it).

I'm inclined to agree with much of what he has to say but what's funny to
me is that these "real kitchens", as he puts it, have just as much Rails
(or Java, or .NET... it doesn't matter) code propping them up as the
startup space does. The majority of programmers in every country I've
worked in (Canada, the US, the UK, and now India) are "awfully mediocre" --
just like him. That doesn't matter, either. For the time-being, whether you
work in a high frequency trading company or a government or a fast food
chain you will be writing software to support a fractured system of
emergent complexity for which software can either be a crutch or a cure. In
part, the choice is up to us.

This is part of what we're trying to do with nilenso: Build things that
matter. Whether you are inside an old enterprise or trying to start a new
one, most of these things seem like they are going to take the shape of a
"startup" in the sense that computing, fast food, and automobiles were each
once "startups". We ask ourselves every day if the software we're writing
improves people's lives. Does it simplify the business model? Does it
automate a repetitive job? Does it abstract away the bureaucracy and
complexity? Good. Then we're winning.

I love identifying both the cures and the crutches: Kayak and Cleartrip are
my cures for booking international flights. The silly world of the web he
bemoans was the only place businesses like these could emerge and I'm
delighted to participate. Every piece of enterprise software I've ever
written, which required stories detailing Functional Requirements defined
by Business Analysts who interviewed Subject-Matter Experts ...these were
crutches. Every time I didn't push back on the business to clean up its act
and simplify its operation, I was making the problem worse.

Is Instagram a cure or a crutch? Ask that question in 5 years. If Instagram
still exists, you have your answer.

Steven Deobald -- ⌀ -- nilenso.com