[LRUG] Are coders worth it?

Najaf Ali ali at happybearsoftware.com
Thu Jun 6 13:08:09 PDT 2013

patio11 et al said so on twitter, this article misses two pretty big points:

* Venture-backed b2c companies with questionable value to society are
over-represented in tech news and the headspace of a lot of people who
write articles like this. If you build robots, write software for b2b,
aerospace, healthcare, non-profits etc you're not in the tech press much
because being in the tech press doesn't matter all that much to you or your
stakeholders.

* Developers in regular companies automate things, i.e. put people out of
jobs. If you can replace entire departments with software, *of course* that
job commands a higher pay. When you build the mining robot that does the
job half as well at a tenth the price, then yes, you're worth more than the
miner by any metric you could conceive of (apart from perhaps saltiness and
machismo).

Ali, http://happybearsoftware.com