[LRUG] Where would you look for a job or next hire?

Paul Robinson paul at 32moves.com
Fri May 24 01:04:09 PDT 2013

On 23 May 2013, at 21:17, Agustin Viñao <agustinvinao at gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing I see in almost all jobs sites or ads is that anyone can be a sponsor, and each day I see more and more jobs offers without people to apply locally.

Legally, you're right, anybody can be a sponsor.

But as somebody who has seen the process up close a couple of times now, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have quite a lot of resource on hand for dealing with it.

It just isn't worth the effort 90%+ of the time - you end up putting the same amount of effort in as you would if you were trying to recruit somebody who has tenure at MIT...

I'd also suggest that the whole "you need to work on-site" culture has been taking some knocks for a few years now, and I think in 3-4 years the majority of development will be telecommute.

It's better for everybody, and instead of having to get a visa to work in the EU which takes an age, companies can use the money they're saving on offices and fly people in every 8-12 weeks to have 2-3 days of focused creative team meetings, before everybody gets back to work.