[LRUG] [FINANCE] Startup/finance question around invoices

Sleepyfox sleepyfox at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 02:59:24 PDT 2014

Apologies if this is off-topic, but I know a lot of people on the list run
their own startups or consultancies and so may be interested in the
discussion.

# Challenge
I have a client that for the third time running is late with paying their
invoice. They have one of our team members working for them out with one of
*their* clients (DWP), but despite our client being a multi-national
consultancy employing 1600 people our best attempts to try and gently
escalate the issue within their organisation have met with responses
ranging from "stop rocking the boat", "why are you wasting my time", "go
through proper channels" and "this is business as usual".

I'm wondering if anyone here has any helpful advice on how to persuade
clients to be more prompt with paying up. We're very clear with our T&Cs
(payment due within 14 days of receipt, interest due afterwards at X% rate
etc. etc.) and we're very prompt with issuing invoices and very responsive
to any queries from clients' finance departments or accountants.

I'm at a loss for what I can be doing better/differently - any clues?

Thanks, and apologies again if this is [too] off-topic,

Fox
--
"What does the @sleepyfox say?"