[LRUG] Perm vs contract

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 03:06:02 PDT 2014

On 26 June 2014 22:23, carlos <djmutiny at gmail.com> wrote:

As for the trust thing, well, our experiences are different. I've worked
> with several managers who simply assumed that the developers would mess
> around all day if they worked remotely.

Don't work for those guys, sure, but don't assume all permanent jobs are
going to have managers who make those judgements.

Also, as somebody who hires contractors I can assure you that not requiring
contractors to work on-site has absolutely nothing to do with trusting
contractors more - if anything I trust contractors less. I think you could
be post-rationalising something here, and it could be based on a flawed
assumption about trust dynamics in the workplace.

That's a wordy way of saying you're too cynical about managers' intentions.

> > To a non-developer senior manager Github is utterly useless and means
> nothing
>
> Yup, but to a lead developer, tech director or CTO it should be a fairly
> rich source of information about the quality of somebody's work.

In my experience, there is no objective measurement that is useful in
determining how "good" a developer is. It's all subjective.

Even reading the code, you still can't establish if a developer really
knows what they're doing, if they're doing it well or if they need coaching
or support.

You need a conversation to figure that stuff out. You need to spend time
talking to them, listening to them and figuring out the thought processes
behind their actions. That is best done face to face, ideally with a pen
and something to draw on and a bottomless supply of coffee or beer.