[LRUG] [JOBS] Dressipi is looking for a software engineer

Frederick Cheung frederick.cheung at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 06:17:28 PDT 2014

Hi all,

You may remember me from the c extension or elasticsearch talks I've done at LRUG - If not hi, I'm Fred, CTO at Dressipi and we're looking for a software engineer to join our team. I've included our job description below but the super short version is that we build personalised style advice services retailers can embed into their websites, such as

http://marksandspencer.com/s/women/style-adviser

Please no recruiters at this time

Any questions, please do just ask me (or accost me at the next LRUG. I'm also planning on going to next week's elixir meetup and can sometimes be found at codebar events.)

Fred

Job description:

We're looking for a mid to senior level engineer to join our team near Oxford Circus in London. We're still a smallish team so you'll be working closely with the 6 other engineers, our styling team, designers and co-founders (including a Ruby Hero and BAFTA interactive winner)

We work with leading high street retailers including the Arcadia Group, Marks & Spencer, Shop Direct group, amongst others, to provide highly personalised styling advice to their customers (embedded into the retailer's website). Some of the tasks we tackle include size prediction, clothing recommendations and automated outfit construction. While the output may be pretty and stylish the cold heart of technology beats within!

This isn't a job where you're handed fully fledged spec documents: part of the job is understanding the needs of our retailers and consumers and help describe what we should build, how to measure it and how to improve it once launched - the actual implementation is only one step of the process.

The majority of our work takes place on a set of rails apps (currently all on rails 4.1.6 & ruby 2.1.2), with data stored in Elasticsearch, MySQL and MongoDB and hosted on AWS. We've also got our a homegrown recommendation engine, largely written in C++ (for speed).

The sorts of things we're looking for are:

- an interest in solving hard and diverse problems
- the will and ability to pick up new technologies as required
- interested in building web applications capable of servicing millions of users
- good working knowledge of at least some of the technologies we use

We can't promise infinite free food, arcade machines or swimming pools on rooftops but we can offer

- a relaxed and friendly working environment
- deskbeers on a friday
- stock options scheme
- free style advice if you want / need it :-)