[LRUG] [Help] Hosted Documentation Recommendations

Simon Morley simon at polkaspots.com
Thu Apr 23 04:57:28 PDT 2015

Hello All

*What do you use for your product documentation?*

We just launched a new service and our docs were foolishly / typically left
to the last minute.

Long-term we're going to use Github pages but we have no time (or people)
to make it pretty. And add search. Or train those writing the docs.

In desperation, we've chucked them on readme.io. However, words cannot
describe how terrible readme is. Avoid. Plague. Although it is
superficially pretty:

http://docs.cucumbertony.com

We already use Intercom for support so we need none of that. We have our
api documentation on apiary (http://docs.polkaspots.apiary.io/#) which is
awesome.

We just a place for the end-user, customer facing, help-me style docs.

*Stuff we tried:*

- Zendesk - good support system, crap docs, terrible community aspect.
- Freshdesk - support orientated.
- Help Scout - ok but more about support. Ugly.
- Help Juice - OMG VPL expensive.
- Readme.io - genuinely made me irate.
- Desk - seemingly all about support.
- Atlassian - the peeps writing them couldn't understand it.
- Github pages - fabulous but needs attention and same issue as Atlassian.
- Userdeck - no idea what it does still.
- HappyFox - v basic apparently, didn't try.
- kayako - too complicated to set up.

We need something simple. With basic search. And it needs to be pretty. And
easy to use.

If this magical beast doesn't exist, it should. I'd even write something
with some of you.

Great product, shoddy docs. Not cool.

Help?

Simon Morley