[LRUG] [JOBS] Looking for a part-time junior developer. Students and new developers welcome

javier ramirez javier.ramirez.gomara at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 07:17:20 PST 2015

Hi,

We areSocial Belly <https://socialbelly.com>, a site that allows like-minded people to make new friends over authentic meals in people's homes or at independent restaurants.

We need to bring a junior developer to the team to take care of all the everyday changes to the application: fixing bugs, keeping things up-to-date, adding new features, making sure everything is running smoothly... We need someone comfortable both
with Rails and with the front end (nothing fancy right now, just plain old jQuery, html, some SCSS, and a Mysql db).

We are looking for somebody with a can-do attitude and willing to learn. We don't expect just someone to do what they're told, but also to challenge our decisions and to have a say on the future of the platform.

These are some of the technical challenges we will be tackling during the next year:
     * Building an API for the platform
     * Designing a mobile web interface
     * Improving the automatic provisioning of the system
     * Setting up continuous integration
     * Improving performance by adding Redis and sidekiq
     * Applying big data techniques to improve our recommendation engine and to drive sales

At the moment we are still not profitable, and we are actively looking for investment, but right now each of us is working for equity (I am not the founder and I'm working under the same conditions). As soon as we get more resources, either via sales
or investment, the plan is to set a fair compensation for everyone.

So just to be clear, your compensation at the moment would be equity in the company, the opportunity to learn working on a real project, and to have personalised mentoring/training from me in all the areas where I can help. I've been doing web
development for the last 17 years, spoken at over 50 events in 9 countries, taught Software Engineering at three Universities, and mentored a few startups too. I will try my best to give you all the technical support you need to become an outstanding developer.
For someone finishing University, or starting professionally, the potential training could be quite interesting.

We are based in London, at Google Campus, and we like to get together once in a while, so London residents are preferred. However, we will consider candidates from elsewhere as long as they can communicate in English. We are looking for someone helping us
2 or ideally 3 days a week.

If this sounds interesting drop me a line and let's talk. If you have any pointers (your twitter, github, a personal project...) I would love to see them. If you don't have any, or prefer not to share them, that's cool too.

Cheers,

Javier Ramirez

p.s. if you are not a junior dev, but liked what we are building and found the above appealing, you'd be very welcome too :)