[LRUG] [JOBS] Experienced Rails Developer for Composed.com from Universal Music Group

James Higgs jameshiggs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 08:17:01 PST 2015

Hello El Rug,

I’m James and I’m Technical Director at Made by Many. We have built an exciting new classical music streaming app for Universal Music Group called Composed. It’s available on iOS, Android and in the browser. You can take a look at it at https://composed.com

We’ve been working for Universal for a while on this project, and now that it’s launched and growing, we’re helping them to build a team to take over product development from us. We already have two team members in place (an iOS developer and an Android developer) and now we’re looking for an experienced Rails developer to work alongside them.

The team will be employed by a subsidiary of Universal set up specifically for this product. At the moment Composed is only available in the UK but there are plans to launch it in other markets very soon.

The team as a whole will work from prototyping with users through to production, and you can expect a fast-moving agile product cycle and the opportunity to see your work reaching a broad international user base.

We are looking for a Ruby on Rails developer who is also comfortable doing front-end work in a Rails context, and who has an understanding of hosting websites on Unix. A familiarity with hosting on AWS and shell scripting would be a big bonus. Part of the reason for our involvement in this job search is that we will be training the team in areas that they are not already fluent in, so

The job involves:

* developing the underlying API that powers the Android, iOS and browser apps
* developing the metadata management system that integrates with Universal’s digital supply chain and allows content editors to prepare content to go live on the service
* collaborating with the designers and mobile developers to iterate quickly and get new features and fixes released.
* articulating your thinking to colleagues, other stakeholders and users in a clear and understandable way

We use Ruby on Rails 4, running on Ruby 2, ReactJS and Browserify, Git (and Github) for version control. There’s a comprehensive test suite written using Test::Unit, minitest and Capybara. We use pull requests for code reviews and Jenkins for continuous integration. But, obviously, these are never set in stone. As the Rails developer on the team you’d be responsible for improving this stack as time went on.

The team has already started forming and in its initial months will co-locate with us at Made by Many. We are based in a canal-side old marble factory in Islington and you would get to work with a talented group of developers, designers and an unruly but lovable office dog! You can see our office and the way we work here (https://vimeo.com/33774339)

Please contact me directly with questions, or you can apply for the role here: https://composed.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0cbt

This position is not suitable for remote working and you must be eligible to work in the UK.

No recruiters or agencies, please.

Thanks for your time,
James