[LRUG] [JOBS] Experienced engineers wanted at Music Glue

Lee Henson lee at musicglue.com
Thu Jul 16 06:39:18 PDT 2015

Hello! I'm Lee and I'm CTO at Music Glue (http://www.musicglue.com). I'm
looking for several experienced Ruby developers to join my team. If you
haven't heard of us, we are a white label, turn-key, direct-to-fan (D2F)
e-commerce solution for the global music industry. In a nutshell, we allow
artists anywhere in the world to sell any product (digital content,
physical items, experiences or tickets) to anyone, anywhere, in most
currencies and in many languages. We've been in business for 7 years now,
and have offices in New York and Sydney as well as home base in Kentish
Town.

## The job

We like to think we've got an interesting set of problems to solve. The
nature of our business deals with popular yet scarce resources like event
tickets which means we have to cope with large traffic spikes. Vendors
upload all different kinds of digital files that we have to ingest in a
timely fashion. Industry partners have their own systems that we have to
integrate with. We receive and pay out money in many currencies into many
different kinds of bank accounts.

To provide these kinds of features, our platform consists of a number of
independent moving parts, from customer-facing shops though to our vendor
account management product, and with several services in between. I'd like
to say everything in our codebase is perfect, but the truth is we have
accrued some technical debt arriving at this point. You'll help to pay this
down, decomposing monoliths into smaller services and migrating prototypes
to more solid designs.

You can check out our GitHub organisation (http://github.com/musicglue) to
see the sorts of open source projects we use and have contributed to. If a
list of buzzwords and acronyms is your kind of party: Ruby, Rails, Sinatra,
MongoDB, Postgresql, MySql, Redis, Elasticsearch, PHP, Symfony, Nginx,
Heroku, AWS, Travis CI, and we're starting to use React.

You will collaborate with product managers to design, build and deploy new
features, and you will also perform maintenance and bug fixing where
necessary (sorry). All of our software is deployed via Heroku. We love
spirited discussions on architecture and coding, and we want more voices
and knowledge to help us make better choices!

## Candidates

Here are the sort of attributes we're looking for. Technical stuff:

* Experienced with Ruby. People learn at different rates so I loathe to say
something like "2+ years" but ideally you'll have been 'around the block'.
* Independant and able to take a project through all steps from an informal
design conversation all the way through to delivery.
* Thinks critically about the impact of modelling decisions on things like
performance and security.
* Comfortable with more than one type of datastore, and therefore able to
select the right tool for the job.
* Can explain wtf the asset pipeline does. J/k, nobody knows that!

Human stuff:

* Enjoys working alongside others and also individually. We do both,
depending on the situation.
* Is ok to take a slot on our PagerDuty rotation (I like to call it
PagerOpportunityToExcel). It goes off very rarely these days, but we all
take our turn because we have customers and vendors all around the world.
* Interested in the process of software development, loves learning and
discussing new ideas and technologies.
* Has an interest in music. This is not a deal breaker, but c'mon. Who
doesn't like music!?!

## Remuneration

* Salary: veeery competitive. Let's talk about what you think you are worth.
* EMI scheme.

## Hiring process

1. Initially we'll schedule a phone call where we can chat about the
company and the role in a little more detail and also your interest and
experience.
2. We'll ask you to complete a coding test that we've devised. You can do
this at your own pace, just let us know when you're done and we'll talk
through your solution.
3. At this point you'll come into the office and meet the team. We'll pair
up on a real feature so you can get a feel for the code, and hopefully by
now you'll have made your mind up whether you can see yourself working with
us. If so, we'll talk turkey!

This is Music Glue's Stack Overflow profile with some more details on it
(map, pictures etc): https://careers.stackoverflow.com/company/music-glue

If you got this far, and you're interested in hearing more, send me an
email at lee at musicglue.com with a bit of info about yourself (cv, github,
whatever).

Thanks for listening!