[LRUG] [JOBS] Junior Ruby Dev (Advice?)

Kevin Fullerton lrug at kenwa-solutions.co.uk
Fri Jun 19 02:52:45 PDT 2015

On a similar (slightly related) note, what are the best options for
those of us that have more commitments and more experience outside of
Ruby who would like to move into a more Ruby based role?

Case in point, I've been working as a developer mainly in Microsoft
technologies (started out with VB3, moved with VB through to VB6 until
.NET and have done primarily C# since) and have a wealth of experience
doing development, support around many more niche products (Windows
thick-client CRM apps for example) and wife + children means after work
I don't get the chance I'd necessarily require to build an impressive
portfolio of Ruby/Rails projects on GitHub to show what level I'm at in
that regard.

I've started applying for Ruby based jobs but the fear I have is due to
my length of service/speciality so far commercially, any job I go for
which is primarily Ruby based is going to either a) have a wealth of
people who do have commercial Ruby experience and so pass me over or b)
be offering a salary far below what I currently earn as I'd need to go
in at a more junior level (which if it was just me I would have no
issues with to get a chance to learn and prove the skills I have,
however I have a wife + children to support as well)

Cheers!

Kevin

Case in p
On 2015-06-18 22:33, amscott at openmailbox.org wrote:
> Dear LRUG,
>
> A few months ago I posted here looking for job postings for a Junior
> developer role. As a result of the replies, I ended up having a few
> interviews with a few good companies, who liked me, thought I had
> potential, but were dissuaded by my lack of commercial experience.
>
> Those companies told me reapply in due course once I had the
> prerequisite experience. Having worked on a startup of my own, and
> having an 80 hour a week work ethic, I felt obviously that I would be
> able to make up the shortfall caused by this.
>
> Basically what I'm asking is are there any roles for people without
> commercial experience, but who are prepared to put the work in? My
> Github shows that I am industrious and don't necessarily need my hand
> held to the same extent as others. Any advice on this front would be
> much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Andrew

Kevin Fullerton