[LRUG] [JOBS] Junior Ruby Dev (Advice?)

Garry Shutler garry at robustsoftware.co.uk
Fri Jun 19 03:13:37 PDT 2015

It sounds like you have a lot of experience, just not in Ruby. Whilst you
may not have much commercial experience in Ruby, you do have experience in
developing and maintaining software over time, working in a team, etc. The
challenges there are pretty much the same regardless of language so you
shouldn't think of yourself as starting from the ground floor.

Sure, it might take you a few months to crank out Ruby as fast as someone
with more Ruby experience, but you may well be making better decisions to
make up for that. Hopefully some pairing and/or code review will help you
get up to speed with Ruby quicker than that.

Perhaps look at places with a mixed/polyglot stack. If they have two or
more languages in play they'll understand how your general experience can
help regardless of language. If they've got some C# in there that may help
to land the position and you can use that as a stepping stone towards a
full-time Ruby position within their company or at another one a few years
down the line.

I know Zopa are hiring and have a mix of Ruby and C# (I used to work there)
http://www.zopa.com/working-at-zopa/jobs/software-developer as an example.
I have an inkling that Lending Club have a similar mix but are only
advertising for Ruby at the moment
https://www.fundingcircle.com/blog/jobs/senior-application-developer-rubyrailsfloss-full-time/

Hope that helps.

Garry