[LRUG] VPS performance and monitoring

Rob Anderson rob.anderson at paymentcardsolutions.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 02:58:53 PST 2015

We rent our own physical machines in a data centre and run our own
hypervisor (proxmox) - so we are effectively our own 'cloud' provider.

This is obviously a more expensive option, but not as bad as you might
think.

We create VPS's for all our servers - on KVM or OpenVZ as best suits - and
because we're the cloud operator, we can allocate physical server resources
as we see fit.

The downside to this is that we're responsible for machine uptime, backups,
etc etc - ie more admin.  But personally I prefer the greater level of
control.

Just my tuppence - Klaus feel free to PM me if you'd like more detail on
this.

Rob

On 4 March 2015 at 09:40, Klaus Hebsgaard <klaus at hebsgaard.dk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am the developer and siteOp for Be My Eyes.
> Currently we host our site on Digital Ocean (DO) and we are pretty happy
> with them, they even provided us with at lot of free hosting.
> We have 2 load balancers, 3 web servers and 3 db hosts.
>
> However we have had a few issues with the VPS'ese on DO.
>
> - We had some problem with other VPS'ese stealing cpu time from our VPS.
> - We had problems with DNS latency (we are talking seconds here)
>
> Each time we found a problem they did not trap it in any kind of
> monitoring.
>
> So my question is: Is this what we should expect from VPS? Or are there
> better alternatives out there?
>
> Med Venlig hilsen / Best regards
>
> Klaus Hebsgaard
>
> Website: http://www.hebsgaard.dk
> Blog: *http://www.khebbie.dk <http://www.khebbie.dk>*
> LinkedIIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/klaushebsgaard
> Github: https://github.com/khebbie

*Rob Anderson* CTO
Payment Card Solutions (UK) Ltd

3A The Plough Brewery, 516 Wandsworth Road, London SW8 3JX
Tel: 020 3137 3422 | Fax: 020 7627 2134 | Mob: 07767 623794

www.paymentcardsolutions.co.uk