[LRUG] VPS performance and monitoring

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 04:23:19 PST 2015

If you move to AWS is because his huge ecosystem of additional services.
For instance in can run your database on RDS or many other DBMSs. There are
many other third party companies offering so many services. It seems that
EC2 is quite expensive if you compare the cost with Linode or Digital Ocean
(search articles with a comparison of the providers). https://www.vultr.com/
is another VPS provider similar to Digital Ocean, I know someone who is
happy with it, especially because they have FreeBSD. On thing to keep in
mind, when choosing a provider, is security too. There are some companies
who offers OpenBSD VPSs. OpenBSD uses FreeSLL, not OpenSSL (heartbleed
bug), it does not use BASH (ghost bug).

PS: for the guys using things like promod, have a look at CloudFoundry
since it is developed in Ruby, and it is easier to use them OpenStack.

On 4 March 2015 at 11:07, Klaus Hebsgaard <klaus at hebsgaard.dk> wrote:

> Wow thank you for all the feedback.
>
> My sum up of this is that this is pretty much what to expect with pretty
> cheap cloud hosting.
> So if I want something better, I should move to something more expensive
> (surprise!).
>
> I would like to hear from someone using Amazon, to hear if this is the
> case for Amazon as well?
> I know Amazon is a bit more expensive, so is it worth it?
>
> Med Venlig hilsen / Best regards
>
> Klaus Hebsgaard
>
> Website: http://www.hebsgaard.dk
> Blog: *http://www.khebbie.dk <http://www.khebbie.dk>*
> LinkedIIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/klaushebsgaard
> Github: https://github.com/khebbie
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Klaus Hebsgaard <klaus at hebsgaard.dk>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am the developer and siteOp for Be My Eyes.
>> Currently we host our site on Digital Ocean (DO) and we are pretty happy
>> with them, they even provided us with at lot of free hosting.
>> We have 2 load balancers, 3 web servers and 3 db hosts.
>>
>> However we have had a few issues with the VPS'ese on DO.
>>
>> - We had some problem with other VPS'ese stealing cpu time from our VPS.
>> - We had problems with DNS latency (we are talking seconds here)
>>
>> Each time we found a problem they did not trap it in any kind of
>> monitoring.
>>
>> So my question is: Is this what we should expect from VPS? Or are there
>> better alternatives out there?
>>
>> Med Venlig hilsen / Best regards
>>
>> Klaus Hebsgaard
>>
>> Website: http://www.hebsgaard.dk