[LRUG] VPS performance and monitoring

David Salgado david at digitalronin.com
Wed Mar 4 03:19:28 PST 2015

> I know Amazon is a bit more expensive, so is it worth it?

I looked at Amazon AWS costs again, recently. In our case, raw processing
power (plus bandwidth) per dollar is the main criterion for choosing a
provider, and on that basis AWS was so woefully overpriced that even their
spot pricing (of about 10% of the list price of an instance) would have
made AWS a much more expensive option for our requirements.

But, we're an outlier, because hosting is the single biggest cost to our
business. They do have some really nice tooling around their API and
auto-scaling etc. so for a more 'normal' company, they could be a nice
option. However, if you do use all the nice shiny things, then once you're
in, you're in - the AWS way of doing things is not easily portable to
another provider, if you decide to switch later.

David