[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby Developer at FutureLearn

Joel Chippindale joel.chippindale at futurelearn.com
Mon Mar 9 06:12:05 PDT 2015

TLDR;

We're looking for a Ruby Developer to join our fantastic team at
FutureLearn https://about.futurelearn.com/about/jobs/ruby-developer/

## More detail

FutureLearn (futurelearn.com) is a social learning platform, backed by the
Open University and based in the British Library. We offer free online
courses run by many leading universities from the UK and around the globe.

Since our launch in October 2013, we’ve run hundreds of courses that have
attracted over a million learners to our platform. They come to study a
diverse range of topics, from the archeology of ancient Rome to psychology
and modern medicine. We have a growing following from around the world,
with people of all genders and age groups well-represented. We help them
learn by provoking conversation around the course material, so that
learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material
itself.

We try to mirror this environment within our company. We aim to be
supportive, to help people improve their skills, and we’re constantly
reflecting on how we work to improve the product and the way we work. It is
a collaborative environment where designers, developers and product
managers work in small multi-disciplinary teams and all contribute to the
product’s direction.

We’re looking for a Ruby developer to help us expand and improve the
platform and scale it to serve our growing user base. You should have at
least 1 year of Ruby programming experience, either from a professional
position, or personal development.

In this role, you will be:

- Working in a small multi-disciplinary team
- Building online learning environments
- Developing with the Ruby on Rails web framework
- Using unit tests to drive design and keep everything working
- Deploying large-scale systems on AWS
- Working in a continuous deployment environment
- Using data analysis to improve products and software
- Writing robust, well-factored CSS and JavaScript

Any previous experience in these areas would be a bonus, but there’s plenty
of scope to learn these skills as you work.

We work in a devops environment, where responsibilty for managing our
infrastructure is shared amongst members of the development team. If this
is something that interests you then experience of configuration management
systems, and maintaining scalable web applications on AWS would be
beneficial. There is an opportunity as part of this position, to take a
pivotal role in leading our operations approach as we grow the platform.

Above all, we are looking for people who are curious, think critically, are
eager to learn and keen to use their experience to help and support others.
You will need to be able to communicate and explain things clearly and work
well in a collaborative environment.

## Things you'll get on top of building a great product

- £25-65k dependent on experience
- 28 days holiday
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer contribution)
- Childcare tax vouchers/Season ticket loans/Bike to work scheme
- You get to choose your own computing environment
- You get to choose your own training
- You get to buy any tech books etc. that you need
- Subsidised Peyton & Byrne canteen for breakfast and lunch at the British

## Anything else?

If you want to know more about how we work you can read our blog about how
we make FutureLearn, see
https://about.futurelearn.com/blog/?category=making-futurelearn

If you want more information about the role and how to apply, see
https://about.futurelearn.com/about/jobs/ruby-developer/

If you're going to LRUG tonight then Chris Lowis, Chris Zetter and Melinda
Seckington will all be there from FutureLearn and would be more than happy
to answer any questions you might have about the role.

If you have any other questions do not hesitate to contact me at
joel.chippindale at futurelearn.com

Thanks,

J.