[LRUG] Free mentoring/pairing

jc at panagile.com jc at panagile.com
Fri Mar 27 03:45:01 PDT 2015

Hey lrug

I have some free time next week and I thought it might be fun to spend a few hours helping people learn/write code/do fun stuff with computering. Thus I’m offering 4 one-hour remote paring sessions for anyone who is interested. These could be used for learning how to program, getting help to understand something complex, working on a problem together or even just discussing how to solve something. Ideally I’d hope to spend three of the sessions teaching/mentoring people who are new to programming and one session working on something harder that pushes me out of my depth.

In the event that more than 4 people are interested I’ll prioritise based on the following:

1) ideally I would spend time with people who would not normally have access to this kind of one-on-one mentoring

2) it should be something I know about or can add value to. This really means it should be ruby/rails/go, or something that’s interesting (anyone up for an hour pairing on type theory papers? ;-))

3) all other things being equal, I would like to use this to do something positive to improve diversity in the community

If you’re interested and have access to a network connection and google hangouts (or similar) then let me know. Try not to reply to the list. I’m pretty flexible on times.

(I’m mostly offering this because I think that teaching/mentoring is an important skill and I want to get better at it. I also expect to learn something from each of these sessions. That’s the beauty of teaching.)