[LRUG] [Help] Alternatives to NewRelic

Sam Phillips sam at samsworldofno.com
Thu May 28 08:15:06 PDT 2015

We're heavy users of New Relic and keeping costs down has been tough. Two
things we've done to help:

* Configure chef to only deploy and activate NR on certain members of
clusters where each member is identical. I know this adds a complexity but
it hasn't caused problems for us, at all.

* Talk to them about getting a pre-production account set up. This is
included in our package as a value add and allows us to put sandbox/staging
instances in an account that has good data retention, but doesn't count
against our allowance for production machines.

As an overall comment, we operate our architecture on clusters, with
components clustered together. I.e., X service always shares with Y
service. Once resources get contended, we either upgrade the boxes or break
out a component into its own cluster. When we first designed our arch we
envisaged having a cluster per service, with no sharing... but this means
LOTS of boxes and the complexity of sharing isn't too bad at all. And of
course, this helps with costs like New Relic :)

Cheers,

Sam