[LRUG] MacBook for Ruby dev work

javier ramirez javier.ramirez.gomara at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 03:58:37 PDT 2016

Hi,

Also using Ubuntu here. Started doing Ruby/Rails development on a
windows machine on 2006 and a couple of years later decided I to switch
to something more proper. I took a look at Apple but saw you had lots of
restrictions on what to install -java version, for example- at least
back then. So I went for Ubuntu and I've been quite happy with it for
the last 8 years. Apart from being perfect for Ruby/Rails I like the
fact my machine has almost the same architecture as my servers, so less
surprises there.

I've been doing much more big data, cloud, and distributed systems work
for the last few years too (I used to do almost 100% rails to maybe 10%
rails, 90% other stuff) and for those use cases I think Linux is
superior to any other OS. Think Docker, for example, it was available
only for Linux systems for a long time before you could use it on Mac or
Windows.

My machines have always looked worse and weighted more than the Apple
alternative, although the ThinkPad Carbon and the Dell XPS are changing
that. But battery-wise Linux is terrible and your battery will drain way
faster than on an Apple machine (or faster than running Windows on the
same laptop). I travel a lot and battery is a major annoyance to me.
Even so I am sticking with Ubuntu, but if that's also your case you
might want to be sure you choose Apple or at the very least a laptop
with a decent battery and SSD only.

On 19/07/16 10:35, Paul Battley wrote:
> On 19 July 2016 at 10:09, Ian Moss <hello at ianmoss.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone currently use a machine other than an Apple based product?
>>
>> I run unbuntu on a ThinkPad, and enjoy using it. Quite like it when I meet
>> others with one too, though we're pretty rare. Keep meaning to try mint, but
>> havn't got around to it yet.
> I use Ubuntu (Lubuntu, to be precise, because the interface is more
> boring) 14.04 LTS (again, because stability is boring) on a ThinkPad
> x220. The keyboard is really nice, and it works fine for me! After
> working alongside people using OS X, I'm pretty sure that apt is less
> hassle than Homebrew.
>
> My computer cost £260 refurbished, plus a bit extra for an SSD and 16
> GB of RAM. It's not as slim as a MacBook Pro, but it weighs about the
> same, and I probably wouldn't be too devastated if I dropped or lost
> it. In fact, it's cheap enough that I bought another identical one to
> leave at client sites instead of carrying it there and back each day.
>
> The only thing that might prompt me to upgrade at this point would be
> a higher resolution screen, but as I mostly use it plugged into an
> external monitor that's not a huge issue.
>
> Paul.

javier ramírez

javier ramirez's home page (http://javier-ramirez.com)
<http://javier-ramirez.com>