[LRUG] [JOBS] Midlevel/Senior Software Engineers at Deliveroo

Nasir Jamal nj at nasir.me.uk
Mon Jun 13 08:18:50 PDT 2016

Hi all,

We are looking for Midlevel / Senior Software Engineers to join our team at
Deliveroo. Our Product Team has grown ~10x from an year ago that
includes engineers,
designers, product managers, data scientists and QA experts. Since then we
have also achieved ~20x growth in our daily sales volume. Now we have some
interesting challenges ahead and would like you to come and help us:

   - Scaling up our application to keep up with the growth we are
   experiencing
   - Lots of API work to address iOS / Android consumer app and other
   native apps used to fulfil our operations
   - Re-arch parts of our system to make them more resilient.
   - Automating operational work to smoothen the deliveries.
   - Build new consumer-facing features and measure which ones work best
   for the restaurants, riders *and* customers
   - Find ways to use technology to bring new customers to Deliveroo
   ethically.
   - We regularly prioritise work to keep our code clean and keep technical
   debt in check
   - and a lot more

Few of us will be at LRUG today so please come and say hi to us.
https://twitter.com/jphastings
https://twitter.com/mathildathompso
https://twitter.com/danwrong

I am copying the job description below

*Who we are*

We’re in the business of delivering awesome meals to your home.
We build and run a superb website, suite of mobile apps, and a fleet of
drivers, all so you can order from real restaurants, to your doorstep.

We work with hundreds of the UK's best loved restaurants (Carluccio's, GBK,
Nando's, Rossopomodoro, many top quality independents) to deliver their
meals to homes and offices everywhere. Our customers are as passionate
about great food as we are — and we satisfy them in just 32 minutes on
average!

We also operate in France, Ireland, Germany, Australia, Spain, Netherlands,
Belgium, Italy, Singapore, Hong Kong and UAE – more to come, soon.

*What we do*

As a logistics company, our software is used to transport physical goods
and solve real-world problems. We handle rapid decisions about dispatching
drivers in real-time and remove slow human think-time and inefficient
information discovery from every interchange point in the order processing
workflow so food deliveries can be fulfilled as quickly as possibly. Our
current total order fulfillment time from the time that the customer
submits an order until they receive their meal is, on average, 32 minutes,
although we know we can do better.

*You*

Our product team needs to grow, quickly: our breakneck-paced growth comes
with many challenges, from our dispatch backend to excellence in front-end
UX, and from software architecture to highly usable mobile applications.

We are looking for like-minded developers who truly love the craft of
software engineering. We value a job well done rather than unreasonably
long hours. We encourage engineer to be curious, put time into studying
software development (learn new languages, study design patterns or
algorithms, experiment with new open source frameworks, etc) and to
continue to develop new skills.

As a Software Engineer (backend) on our team, you will:

   - Be exposed to the whole business, in an environment where your ideas
   counts.
   - Work with teams from the entire company to design and deliver features
   for a rapidly growing suite of products
   - Design, build, ship and maintain software features across one or more
   parts of our stack — from operations, backend, and APIs to highly
   interactive front-ends and mission-critical mobile applications.
   - Contribute to a learning organisation: you'll help defining how we
   work together, and how we build a great product.

*Requirements*

   - Pride in readable, well-designed, well-tested software.
   - Professional experience with Ruby and Ruby on Rails (2+ years)
   - Experience with TDD environments (RSpec, Minitest, Capybara, Selenium)
   - Experience with relational databases (PostGreSQL, MySQL) and key-value
   stores (Memcache, Redis)
   - A relentless desire to satisfy every customer's palate.
   - A sense of humour.
   - A stash of Kangaroo GIFs (Cat GIFs tolerated).

*Nice-to-haves:*

   - Experience with web architecture at scale (20krpm and above).
   - Experience with PostGIS, or any geography-heavy applications.
   - Experience with "NoSQL" data backends (Redis, MongoDB, ElasticSearch).
   - Experience with logistics.
   - Experience with Elixir / Go / Rust

To apply please head here https://deliveroo.workable.com/jobs/29743 or forward
this to someone who might be interested.

Thanks,

Nas

---

Nasir Jamal