[LRUG] ActionCable opinion & Ably realtime

Matthew O'Riordan matthew.oriordan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 07:32:45 PDT 2016

Hi all

I’ve recently looked at ActionCable in some depth to see how it stacks up as a replacement for a realtime messaging service. I’ve written an article with my findings at https://blog.ably.io/rails-5-actioncable-the-good-and-bad-parts-1b56c3b31404 <https://blog.ably.io/rails-5-actioncable-the-good-and-bad-parts-1b56c3b31404>   I expect many of you who have perhaps used ActionCable in production environments may have some additional views.  As such, I’d really appreciate any feedback you may have, including any corrections if I go anything wrong.

---- Disclaimer —

I am the co-founder of Ably (https://www.ably.io), a realtime messaging platform-as-a-service I’ve been working on for a long time now. 3 years ago, when I started Ably, I thought we’d launch within 9 months. It turned out to be a lot harder than we had ever imagined, 25 devs and 3 years harder to be exact. If you’re interested why, see https://blog.ably.io/the-story-of-how-ably-came-to-be-1d859f2c9a90 <https://blog.ably.io/the-story-of-how-ably-came-to-be-1d859f2c9a90>

Having been part of the LRUG community for many years now, I’ve been fortunate to interact with lots of very bright people and enthusiastic Rubyists. As such, if you have a moment to spare, I would really appreciate any feedback any of you have on our realtime service , or perhaps on the Ruby client library (https://github.com/ably/ably-ruby <https://github.com/ably/ably-ruby>) implementation which I wrote.  We only launched last week, so any feedback or ideally usage of our service would be greatly appreciated. If you want to know why we've launched a realtime messaging platform when others exist, drop me a line or take a look at our compare page (https://www.ably.io/compare <https://www.ably.io/compare>).

Some relevant Ably links:

- Ruby library: https://github.com/ably/ably-ruby <https://github.com/ably/ably-ruby>
- Documentation: https://www.ably.io/documentation <https://www.ably.io/documentation>
- Ably home: https://www.ably.io <https://www.ably.io/>