[LRUG] ActionCable opinion & Ably realtime

gvim gvimrc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 08:16:15 PDT 2016

On 29/03/2016 15:32, Matthew O'Riordan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I’ve recently looked at ActionCable in some depth to see how it stacks
> up as a replacement for a realtime messaging service. I’ve written an
> article with my findings at
> https://blog.ably.io/rails-5-actioncable-the-good-and-bad-parts-1b56c3b31404
>   I expect many of you who have perhaps used ActionCable in production
> environments may have some additional views.  As such, I’d really
> appreciate any feedback you may have, including any corrections if I go
> anything wrong.
>
> ---- Disclaimer —
>
> I am the co-founder of Ably (https://www.ably.io), a realtime messaging
> platform-as-a-service I’ve been working on for a long time now. 3 years
> ago, when I started Ably, I thought we’d launch within 9 months. It
> turned out to be a lot harder than we had ever imagined, 25 devs and 3
> years harder to be exact. If you’re interested why, see
> https://blog.ably.io/the-story-of-how-ably-came-to-be-1d859f2c9a90
>
> Having been part of the LRUG community for many years now, I’ve been
> fortunate to interact with lots of very bright people and enthusiastic
> Rubyists. As such, if you have a moment to spare, I would really
> appreciate any feedback any of you have on our realtime service , or
> perhaps on the Ruby client library (https://github.com/ably/ably-ruby)
> implementation which I wrote.  We only launched last week, so any
> feedback or ideally usage of our service would be greatly appreciated.
> If you want to know why we've launched a realtime messaging platform
> when others exist, drop me a line or take a look at our compare page
> (https://www.ably.io/compare).

Having followed several of the links you quoted I still can't find basic
information like which language Ably was written in. I see there's a
Ruby client gem but the app's language seems to be a bit of a secret.
For an app which is so fundamentally distributed and realtime I would
say Ruby is the wrong platform now that Elixir has matured a bit.

gvim