[LRUG] ActionCable opinion & Ably realtime

Matthew O'Riordan matthew.oriordan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 10:09:40 PDT 2016

Hi grim

> Having followed several of the links you quoted I still can't find basic information like which language Ably was written in. I see there's a Ruby client gem but the app's language seems to be a bit of a secret. For an app which is so fundamentally distributed and realtime I would say Ruby is the wrong platform now that Elixir has matured a bit.

You’re right, we’re not overtly vocal about our stack at present, but that will following in a series of posts coming soon on our blog.  However, if you’re interested, loosely it’s as follows:

Infrastructure
Services in Go + some Ruby with Celluloid
Automation in Ruby
Realtime
Some Go, mainly middleware and routers
Quite a bit of Node.js + native C code
Elixir
Website
Rails
EventMachine server to handle highly concurrent Async HTTP requests

It’s a great stack, and yes you’re right, we don’t use Ruby in any parts of the system where efficiency or performance are important.

Matt