[LRUG] [JOBS] Data roles at FutureLearn

James Hunt ohthatjames at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 08:17:03 PDT 2016

TLDR;

We're looking for a Data Engineer[1] and a Data Scientist[2] to join our
fantastic team at FutureLearn[3].

## More detail

FutureLearn is a social learning platform, backed by the Open University
and based in the British Library. We offer free online courses run by many
leading universities from around the globe. Since our launch three years
ago, we’ve run hundreds of courses that have attracted over three million
learners to our platform.

The goal of the Data Team is to help other teams make better decisions by
providing them the data they need in an accessible way. Our work influences
the product decisions that can affect the experience of millions of
learners. Currently we’re interested in questions like how to use data
about our learners’ interests to help them find courses that they’ll love
and how to improve our social learning experiences by connecting learners
and educators together.

We have a custom ETL process built in Ruby which extracts data from our
production systems and third party services and loads it into our data
warehouse. This data is primarily accessed through Periscope[4] dashboards
but we are exploring other options.

We’re looking for two people to join our small team:

## Data Engineer

You’ll be helping us manage, monitor and improve our ETL process and data
warehouse design, from sourcing and extracting data through to how we
surface it to end users. You’ll help us find new and better ways to process
our growing volume of data and work with other teams to help them make
effective use that data to drive decisions. If you’d like to know more
check out the job ad[1] or get in touch with me (james.hunt at futurelearn.com
).

## Data Scientist

You’re data literate and scientific. You will have experience of
data-scientific approaches in start-up, commercial and/or academic
settings. You’re able to use statistical / machine learning approaches to
solve practical problems. Being able to do so in R, Python or Ruby would be
great. If you’d like to know more check out the job ad[2] or get in touch
with Chris Lowis (chris.lowis at futurelearn.com).

These roles are permanent and based in the British Library.

Thanks,
James

PS. We’re also still hiring Junior-Mid Level Ruby Developers[5] and Junior
Front End Developers[6]!

[1] https://futurelearn-ltd.workable.com/jobs/224507
[2] https://futurelearn-ltd.workable.com/jobs/222376
[3] https://www.futurelearn.com/