[LRUG] [JOBS] Remote/Contract Lead Rails/JavaScript Developer for ShowHows

David Hopper david at differentprojects.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 04:38:48 PDT 2016

Hi London Rubyists!

We are bootstrapping an EdTech/instructional publishing product called
ShowHows (http://showho.ws) and we're looking for a Lead Developer to take
it forward on an ongoing mix of full-time and part-time contract. The
immediate need we have (within the next month or so) is to move it on from
a fairly simple MVP into something that's production-ready to trial for our
first proper customer (a large global consumer manufacturer).

ShowHows is a web platform for creating and publishing beautiful visual
instructions, how-tos and tutorials for just about anything. DIY and maker
projects, recipes, assembly instructions, user guides, school projects -
anything that works step by step.

As Lead Developer (we don't have a full-time CTO at the moment), you'll be
heavily involved in product decisions and feature discussions with our
remote team (including a product manager and lead designer). The mission
for the next few months is to make our front-end UI the best it can
possibly be and therefore the perfect developer for us would be full-stack
but probably more front-end/JavaScript leaning (i.e. you really enjoy
front-end UI engineering). Someone who has lots of experience with (and is
more than comfortable with) the following:

   - Ruby on Rails
   - JavaScript frameworks: jQuery, React, Ember, Angular (there's an
   opportunity to pick one to go forward with)
   - HTML5/CSS3
   - PostgreSQL
   - Test-driven development
   - Git
   - AWS-based infrastructure

Ideally you'll have worked in a startup environment before and have
experience of remote teams (we have a co-working space near Spitalfields if
you're in/near London but we really don't mind where you work from!). Most
of all though, we're looking for someone who's fun, open-minded and ready
to make a difference. We're funded entirely through customer revenue (no
investment right now) and we also have an eye towards open-sourcing what
we're doing for the education/not for profit markets.

We're looking for someone who is as excited about the product and its
possibilities as we are - get in touch if you'd like to chat/know more.

Thanks,

David - Founder @ ShowHows