[LRUG] [JOBS] Developer roles at dxw

Ben Griffiths bengriffiths at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 08:03:14 PDT 2017

Hello LRUG!

I’m looking for two permanent, full-time developers to join our growing,
diverse team at dxw, building software and services for the public sector,
based on user needs.

At dxw, we believe that it is possible for the public sector to become
something recognisably better and we're on a mission to make that happen.

Since 2008, we've worked with government departments, local government,
housing associations and the NHS. We help them make good technology
decisions and build better services.

Examples of our recent projects:

● We’ve built a prototype service for the Small Business Commissioner, to
help small businesses recover some of the £24 billion that is owed to them
by large organisations.

● We've built and run resident-facing online services for Thames Valley
Housing Association, helping them serve people better online at lower cost.

● We built and now run a new campaigns platform for GDS that's been used
for most central government campaigns, resulting in ~£700k annual savings

● We've worked with the NHS, the country's largest recruiter, to plan NHS
Jobs - the next iteration of the NHS’s national recruitment strategy

This is a hands-on, coding role. As a member of the dxw team, you'll be
developing web applications and services in multidisciplinary project
teams. You'll work alongside user researchers, visual designers and content
designers from dxw and often product owners from our clients. You'll be
comfortable in a highly collaborative and communicative workplace.

We work in an agile way and hope to inspire our clients with our practices.
You'll sit with clients as a team when writing and prioritising work, and
you'll be keen to share skills and knowledge of agile development practices.

We have an office in Hoxton Square, and you'll mainly work from there, and
you should expect some time to spent on site with our London-based clients.

We like Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, PHP, WordPress, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch,
Git, RSpec, AWS, and Docker - and we'd expect you to be proficient (3-4
years’ experience) in some of these and happy to learn about the others.

You'll enjoy writing high-quality software collaboratively, with extensive
code-review through pull-requests to communicate and to share skills and
knowledge.

All developers receive security training but you'll already be a keen
practitioner of secure coding practices.

We document the ways we work in our playbook [1]:  I would draw your
attention to our values [2], and our commitments to sustainable pace [3]
and openness [4].

[1] https://github.com/dxw/playbook
[2] http://playbook.dxw.com/#values
[3] http://playbook.dxw.com/#sustainable-pace
[4] http://playbook.dxw.com/#openness

You can expect a salary from £50,000 - £70,000 depending on experience and
a variety of perks. For more details and to apply, please see our jobs page
[5].

[5] https://www.dxw.com/jobs/

Our public sector work means that appointments will be made subject to a
background check.

I’m happy to answer any questions about these roles - email me at
ben at dxw.com or my DMs are open on twitter: @beng.

Thanks,

Ben Griffiths
Head of Technology, dxw
ben at dxw.com

Agents: please note, it’s dxw policy to only accept unsolicited CVs from
candidates; we don’t work with agents or accept any associated fees.