[LRUG] [JOBS] Rails devs (remote) wanted for Open Food Network UK

Steve Pettitt spettitt at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 15:23:36 PDT 2017

Hi LRUG,

The Open Food Network are looking for developers for casual work. The Open
Food Network (OFN) UK is a web platform designed to support small to medium-
sized local food enterprises by providing a low-cost, transparent and
commonly-owned web platform to help these enterprises grow and develop. This
is all built on Rails and Spree, with an Angular front end (
https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork). We also provide
facilitation, support and development services for local food enterprises
interested in using OFN.

We are looking for developers with Rails, Angular and/or Spree experience.
Our codebase is fully open source so it’s a great chance to build up an open
source portfolio. We are not for profit but once you are up to speed with
the project (we typically ask for one “starter issue” type contribution) the
work is paid at a rate of £250 per day. Everyone works remotely, in several
countries, and the work can be done in your own time. There are fortnightly
online meetings to discuss progress and support from the global dev team on
Slack and GitHub. You need to be relatively independent as help is not
instantly available due to timezones and day jobs.

For more details please contact Nick Weir: nick at openfoodnetwork.org.uk

Cheers,

Steve

More info:

https://openfoodnetwork.org

http://dev.openfoodnetwork.org

https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork

OFN is 100% not for profit and is open source.  This is our vision:

Imagine that the UK has achieved Food Sovereignty, with all the people of
the UK having full and affordable access to healthy, sustainable and
culturally-appropriate food.

Producers of food have easy access to local markets and food production is a
viable, respected profession. Food is produced in a way that works with
natural processes and sequesters carbon from the atmosphere.

Communities have opportunities to define their own food systems in ways that
work for them. Food is sourced ethically and sustainably with food providers
in the UK and around the world operating transparently so that consumers and
food processors can make informed decisions on sourcing.

Food will be distributed through a diverse network of enterprises owned by
the communities that use them and employing people locally. Producers can
sell their products easily through a wide range of channels. Distribution
networks will organise efficiently and sustainably including producers of
all scales and enabling amalgamation of products at different scales.

The challenges of creating a global local food system are solved at the
lowest level of subsidiarity, as local as makes sense. Contributions at
every level feed into a global commons, co-created and co-managed with
shared responsibility for the benefit of everyone.