[LRUG] Details & Dates of the next few meetings: January, February, March

Murray Steele murray.steele at lrug.org
Wed Dec 13 06:09:29 PST 2017

Hi all,

The first few LRUG meetings in 2018 are going to be a little different, so
here’s an quick update about them all.

January 8th

We’re going to run this as a quiz.  The quiz will be a general knowledge
quiz with a ruby slant.  It’ll be questions about the culture and history
of ruby rather than deeply technical “what is the behaviour of this obscure
method from the standard library under these extreme edge-cases?” style
questions.

We’ll gauge attendance on the night, but expect to take part in teams of no
more than 4 people.  There’ll be prizes for the winners and fun for
everyone!

Speaking of prizes, LRUG doesn’t have any money so if you happen to work
somewhere that could stretch to a prize of some kind we’d love to hear from
you.  Prizes can be anything, but obviously something of particular
interest to ruby developers would be most appropriate.  If you could help
us out, no matter how large or small your prize might be, please get in
touch at sponsors at lrug.org and we’ll get it arranged.  Details of what you
get in return for sponsoring, other than a warm glow, are available at
http://readme.lrug.org/#sponsorship

We’d also be keen to sponsor some food and / or drinks at this meeting, so
if you are feeling particularly flush then we’d be happy to talk about that
kind of sponsorship too.

February 12th

This will be our annual lightning talks only event where all the talks are
no more than 10 minutes long.  This means we have room for about 8
speakers, 9 at a push.  This meeting is one of our most popular every year,
in terms of attendance and speaker volunteers.  We’re particularly keen to
let new speakers have room at this event, so if you’re thinking about
giving your first talk in 2018, LRUG would love to have you.  We have room
for lightning talks in every meeting, so even if we are over-subscribed for
February, we’ll slot you in later in the year.

March 12th

This’ll be our first “normal” meeting of 2018.  We’ve already got one
speaker pencilled in for this meeting, but there’s still room for a couple
more.  If you’d like to talk at LRUG, but have more to say than fits in a
10 minute slot, this would be your first chance.

And beyond...

Assuming no scheduling conflicts with our venue we meet on the 2nd Monday
of the month, every month.  We’re always on the lookout for people who want
to talk at LRUG, or people who want to run a full event with a different
slant.  If you’d like to talk at one of these meetings, or any others
please get in touch at talks at lrug.org and we’ll sort something out for you.

We’ll have more info on each of these meetings written up on lrug.org as we
get closer to them, and registration pages at Skills Matter too.

Cheers,

Murray (& the LRUG organisers)