[LRUG] [JOBS] Freelancer. And some reflections.

Patrick Gleeson patrick at gojimo.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 02:24:47 PST 2017

Re the bit of the question about part-timers, I have to say that the
various times I've been looking for a coder I've never even considered
part-time developers. The reason being, I'm always hiring someone to be
part of a team (even when it's a teeny tiny team). When a team of coders
works together it's a very involved, collaborative process. You can make it
work if people are remote, as long as you have good communication hygiene,
but having someone who's not available 2 days a week? That really messes
with the dynamic, both on a practical level ("WhyTF did they do it like
this?" / "Dunno, and we can only ask them when they're back in on Thursday,
so you'd better not touch that class until then."), and more importantly on
a psychological one: people are tribal, and if you're not fully in the
tribe you're an outsider.

Of course, if the whole team worked part-time, with the same days off,
you'd sidestep that. But even if the feel-good factor offset some of the
lost hours, your output will still drop, and I've never worked for a
company that wasn't in a desperate hurry to get stuff done....

On 27 February 2017 at 10:23, Thomas Buckley-Houston <tom at tombh.co.uk>
wrote:

> Wow Evgeny, I really appreciate the feedback. It gives me a much more
> digestible perspective than, "no, sorry, not at the moment" (which is
> of course a legitimate response itself).
>
> I should have mentioned though that all the places I'm applying
> clearly express remote focuses or remote friendliness. So I totally
> understand your preference for face to face, it's a basic human medium
> we've evolved over millions of years. And I love your;
>
> > I need a person who will look at the company and figure out how to
> prevent half the tickets from appearing.
>
> Also perhaps I could make clearer that I'm not just looking for short
> term contracts. I'd love a permanent part time role, I just have no
> need for the kind of money full time involves.
>
> Anyway, like I said, this is such a first-world problem. But still I
> very much appreciate the feedback.

*Patrick Gleeson*

Senior Ruby Developer

Gojimo is available on iOS <http://m.onelink.me/44374fef>, Android
<http://m.onelink.me/feee4922> (beta) and web <http://app.gojimo.co/> (beta)

EducationApps Ltd is a registered company in England, No. 07556427

Gojimo, c/o Edspace, Block D Room 203, Hackney Community College, London N1
6HQ