[LRUG] [JOBS] Freelancer. And some reflections.

stephen creedon steve at light-art.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 02:39:29 PST 2017

The benefits of remote vs local also depend on the company culture. I’ve worked at a couple of companies that were headphones-on heads-down and not a great deal of human interaction even when everyone is in the same room. At the moment a little over half of our developers are remote but they’re very communicative and rewarding to work with. Ideally people like that would be in the same room as me but I’m more than willing to accept the remote trade-off to be able to have them on the team. They’re senior, have children need family support and it works for them being at home rather crammed into a shoe-box in London with an increasingly unhappy partner.

I would say that it is important to be in a similar time zone though so there is plenty of time to chat about current things. Also it certainly helps that we’re all hungry, sleepy, thinking about the weekend and in need of beer and/or coffee at roughly the same time.

Sent with Unibox