[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby and Go DevOps engineer

Matthew O'Riordan matthew.oriordan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 08:14:47 PDT 2017

Hello LRUG’ers

I’m the technical co-founder and CTO of Ably, a realtime data delivery
platform <https://www.ably.io/>. We’ve just completed a financing round to
fuel our growth and build our full time team.

Ably helps power next generation digital experiences. Ones which are live
rather than static, where data is in motion rather than at rest. Things
like live chat, realtime location tracking, live document collaboration,
gaming and elearning. Our customers include well known brands like Yahoo,
OfferUp, IBM, CA Technologies, Team GB, but also a wide array of startups
globally. One of our customers even uses Ably for their air traffic control
system for drones.

We’re recruiting for two separate DevOps roles, both of which require an
engineer with extensive Ruby experience:

   - Head of Infrastructure & DevOps (Ruby & Go) (onsite in London)
   <http://jobs.ably.io/o/head-of-infrastructure-and-devops>
   - Ruby & Go DevOps Engineer (remote)
   <http://jobs.ably.io/o/devops-engineer-remote--onsite>

*Our infrastructure stack:*

   - Mostly AWS based, but this will likely include other clouds in future.
   - Infrastructure languages: Ruby, Bash.
   - Service languages: Go, Elixir, Node.js and some C.
   - Architecture: Exclusively Docker containers for all services, servers
   are effectively ephemeral and disposed of frequently, code is packaged as
   slugs, data centers (circa 20) are isolated and autonomous, critical shared
   services always have redundancy baked in, manual configuration of any
   infrastructure is disallowed (all changes are rolled out using source
   control, environment based configs and CLI commands).
   - Data services: Cassandra (our realtime datastore, 3 regions, 6 data
   centers), Influx, Elastic, Kibana, Grafana, etc.
   - Web: We use Rails & Heroku for simplicity. The web service is not part
   of our "core product" and thus has reduced uptime requirements.

See https://goo.gl/cDUirr and https://goo.gl/XDpmBi for a taster on the
lengths we go to at each layer in the stack to ensure 100% service uptime.

*Day to day you can expect to be working on:*

   - Writing Ruby code for our infrastructure automation, orchestration,
   configuration and continuous integration testing of our infrastructure.
   - Writing Go code for our core routing, worker and other shared
   services.
   - Making extensive use of a wide range of AWS services. Whilst we
   primarily use AWS for our infrastructure, in time we expect that to change
   as we span other cloud services.
   - Managing and developing out our continuous integration services that
   test every aspect of the service, from infrastructure tools, to our health
   servers, routers, realtime services, protocol adaptors and client
   libraries.  Our CI environment is mature, yet we would like to continue to
   evolve our CI environments to help improve the robustness of the platform
   and reduce risk of regressions.
   - Being exposed to our other development environments such as Node.js
   and Elixir, both used extensively in our realtime services.
   - Working with the realtime engineering team to ensure our
   infrastructure supports the ever changing networking, security and
   processing requirements.
   - Collaborating with the team to design, discuss and implement new
   features and services.
   - Diagnosing and fixing bugs in all areas of our platform.  You will
   often be working at very low levels in the network stack to help diagnose
   difficult to identify distributed problems.
   - Work with the engineering team to enable them to take responsibility
   for the complete lifecycle of the features and code they deliver i.e. pull
   request, reviews, testing, deploy to staging and sandbox environments, then
   into production environments. We are strong believers in all developers
   being responsible for deploying their own code.
   - Contributing to open source projects that we support or use in our
   products.  All of our client libraries are open source as well and may
   require your support at times.
   - Helping customers solve problems they are experiencing that may help
   us find bugs in the platform.
   - Support the wider team in regards to documentation and customer
   support.
   - Suggestions for new features or improvements to our protocol and API
   specifications <https://docs.ably.io/client-lib-development-guide/>.

*Benefits & requirements:*

See the respective job roles for more information:

--

Regards,

Matthew O'Riordan
CEO who codes