[LRUG] So long!

Najaf Ali ali at happybearsoftware.com
Mon Feb 26 23:27:58 PST 2018

Hi everyone,

If you’re not sure who I am you can safely ignore this email.

Things have progressed to a point where the probability of us moving to Japan before the end of July this year has reached five nines. Unless the Japanese government can’t see their way to granting me a suitable visa, our intention is to live there for good.

I started attending LRUG in around 2012/13 and since then the community has been an integral part of my career trajectory and working life. I’ve made a lot of good friends through LRUG, and most of our work at Happy Bear Software is the result of a contact I made at LRUG in one form or another. I also hope that the few talks I’ve given at LRUG have been a little bit valuable to at least one or two of you in attendance. Overall I’d like to think that the few years I’ve spent as a part of the LRUG community has, on balance, been mutually beneficial.

A few things:

Happy Bear Software will continue to operate exactly as it does now. We’re always happy to hear from people that want Rails development help, and that won’t be changing. The plan for the company from day one was for me to be able to run it from anywhere, so there’s no reason for it to stop now.

A (probably) last Rails Security Workshop. Please email me and let me know if this sounds like something you would like to do. I’ll organise the event, probably in early April or early May, based on demand.

Coffee/lunch/beer. If we are already friends and you would like to catch up before we go, please email me and let’s set something up. A catch up over a call could be great too. Same applies if we haven’t spoken in person before and you’d like to talk shop over a suitable beverage. I want to hear from you, please email me. I will probably schedule these for after March because I want to spend all of my spare cycles this month preparing for...

Bath Ruby. If none of the above works I will be at Bath Ruby and we can catch up there. Regardless of that, the rest of the line up is fantastic and you should buy tickets and go if you haven’t done so already: https://2018.bathruby.uk/ I will also try to be around for Brighton Ruby, which is the other really effing good UK Ruby Conference, and you should go to that too regardless: https://brightonruby.com/

Other talks. The only talk someone has actually asked me to give left in my talk ideas list is about how we hire developers at HBS, so I will try to get that in at an LRUG between now and when we leave if the organisers deem it appropriate. I will also try to give the mirror talk to that (about how to get hired) both for another Makers cohort if we can figure out dates, and same again for an uncodebar too.

That’s all folks! As mentioned above it would be great to hear from you if you’d like to catch up before we move so don’t hesitate to send me a quick email.

All the best,

Sent from my iPad