[LRUG] [JOBS] ThanksBox

Bilal Khan services at bilalkhan.me
Wed Feb 28 01:18:45 PST 2018

Hi folks, A friend of mine is looking for Ruby developers, i'm happy in my current role so i thought i'd pass it out to the community! They're a nice bunch :)
Fire me a message at email at bilalkhan.me and i'll happily pass along your details.
This is their job post:
# Quick summary Backend developer (Ruby) wanted to join ThanksBox, a small but growing startup with investor funding and real customers, dedicated to making other peoples jobs suck less.
- Based in WeWork Old St (lots of great lunch options, free events, good coffee and beer) - Competitive salary (£70-90k) - Share options - Build new features (not just fix somebody else's bugs from two years ago) - Be a key member of an exciting company that's growing - Pension, bike to work scheme, team lunches every week, your choice of laptop, conference and training budget, your very own pot plant for your desk!
# Tech stack BE: Ruby, Sinatra, MongoDB, Resque, RSpec, Heroku, AWS, Cloudinary
FE: Backbone, Webpack, D3, Lodash, ES6/7, Cypress
# What you'll be working on At ThanksBox we believe that creating an inclusive, engaging and fulfilling workplace leads to happier employees and more productive companies. Our customers share this vision and through consultation and use of our app we help them deliver it. Our app allows employees to highlight great things their colleagues do, put forward ideas for workplace improvements and get rewards.
We have an exciting roadmap for 2018 with lots of new features and enhancements. You'll be joining a small and agile team, regularly shipping code that gets used by thousands of people every week. While there will definitely be maintenance and BAU work, there's plenty of opportunity for greenfield development and defining how things should work.
# About you You're an experienced developer who gets excited by solving real problems. You're happy working by yourself at times but also like working collaboratively with design and UX people, helping to define how new features should work. It would be great if you have experience in, or are keen to learn the following things:
- Solving scalability and performance problems in a growing service - REST API design - Working with complex data in NoSQL databases - Taking a test driven approach to development - Working in small agile teams and contributing to the whole product process - Dev-ops things such as choosing and configuring AWS services, CI servers, deployment processes etc. - Building data analytics tools
# About us, how ThanksBox performs in the "Joel Test 2017" If you're not familiar with the Joel Test it's a method devised by Joel Spolsky to quickly measure how well software teams are setup to be productive and tolerable places to work in. This was recently updated for 2017 by Dale Myers.
1. Are all builds handled automatically by a Continuous Integration server? All our backend pull requests and automatically tested by Circle CI.
2. Do you make and use daily builds? We deploy to our staging environment multiple times a day and make production releases multiple times a week. We use the product internally too so all employees are familiar with the app.
3. Do you use an issue tracker? We use Waffle which sits on top of the GitHub issues API.
4. Do you fix bugs before writing new code? Yes on the most part, we do have technical debt from time to time but this is managed in a responsible way.
5. Do you have an up-to-date schedule? We use Product Board to prioritise our roadmap and manage our schedule.
6. Do you have up to date information on your products performance and usage? Yes we have a mixture or Google Analytics, Heroku and mLab metrics and our own metric tools.
7. Do you use the best tools money can buy? There's always a budget, but we try and make sure everybody has everything they need to be as productive as possible.
8. Do you have a comprehensive test plan? Testing is an integral part of our development and deployment process.
9. Do you have dedicated UI and UX designers? Yes way!
10. Does all code go through code review? Yes, where relevant,
11. Do you have coding standards? We use the OWASP security by design principles as well as stylistic linting tools.
12. Are new employees given training? We don't have a formal training program but are more than happy to help people where we can and pay for training where we can't.

If you're interested fire me a message at email at bilalkhan.me and i'll happily pass along your details.
All the best, Bilal